Yilan's Blog

post5 photo

Blog Post 5 - Web Design Research

I learned a lot of new and useful things in DES117. Before this class, website design was very new to me, but after this class, I learned how to create basic web pages with HTML and add some style with CSS. This new knowledge are little hard for me to apply, but I really enjoy learning it. I still have a lot to learn about website design, I will discuss my findings from the articles I found and the video "CSS is so weird".

After watching the video "CSS is so weird", I have a better understanding of the principles behind CSS and the process and goals of creating and optimizing it. CSS is a very useful tool when I create web pages, although it can be a little bit buggy at times, in general, it works well, it can achieve a lot of effects and it doesn't make us lose the content. In addition to watching this video, I also found an article "An Attempted Taxonomy Of Web Components" on sidebar.io. This article is about web components, including HTML WEB components and JAVASCRIPT WEB components. I don't know much about web components, through this article I learned that HTML Web Components are using progressive enhancement and fall back to the humble HTML Web Component when JavaScript is not used. web components I think are very useful in creating websites, This article made me realize a lot about the different types of components. I also realized that I still have a lot to learn about web design, such as JavaScript, Shadow DOM, etc. as mentioned in the article.